Feel free to look into my window

Everyone has windows, some are open and some are closed. I decided to open a window of my life so that you can come in and see what I am thinking, doing, feeling. Please take some time to see what is going on and comment if you feel the need.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

P90X3 Journey Week 1 Day 4 - The Challenge

The Challenge Week 1 Day 4

The Challenge was the name of todays workout and it was one, but I made it through it with a little help from a friend.  Pull-ups are difficult, but I am getting more out of each workout with a tool you can get too!



WP Greet Box iconThanks for visiting! Make sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, to help keep you motivated, and to gain access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!



The Challenge


The equipment

Named because you are challenging yourself me meet a number of predetermined pushups and pull ups each time.  It is an old fashioned push/pull workout program and you are using gravity and body weight to get it done.  First thing you do is state how many push ups and how many pull ups you will do on each set. 

 

 

 

Check the Ego


Ego Checked

Don't let your ego get in the way when you choose the numbers.  I did and quickly had to regroup!  Everyone on the DVD was calling our 20/40 as a minimum, I thought I could go there too, nope.  There are 16 exercises, 8 different pull ups and 8 different pushups.  if you say 20 pull ups, that is 160 pull ups at the end and 40 pushups would be 320!  Choose your number wisely my friends!






Pull-ups not you thing?


Males over the age of 18 are expected to perform 8 repetitions of pullups to be classified as in “borderline shape” according to the President’s Council. The average number of pullups a male can do begins to decline around the 31 to 50 age bracket, and is normally associated with a decline in physical activity and an increase in weight. The world record holder in number of repetitions in 1 minute is the Vitaly Kulikov from Russia, who performed 59 pullups in a scant 60 seconds in 2012. The record for most pullups in 24 hours is held by Jan Kareš of the Czech Republic, who performed 4,620 pullups in 22:55 hours in 2011.  Yeah right, a whole workout of pullups is expected?  Well say hello to my little friend the pull up assist!  This is awesome!
http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/X3Base?referringRepId=127752
Pull-up Assist

The Pull up Assist

The is a simple device found on line, here is a link (click here) and will save you some time and energy, but most important allow you to do more and improve!  You slide you foot in the strap and hook the hook to the pull up bar, then the strap is adjusted to the proper amount of "assist" you need to complete the reps.  Trust me I have tried to use a chair to assist, tried with no assist, the is little gizmo is the bomb in getting you to increase and improve your abilities!
 
 

 The Review

Almost forgot this part!  This was a great exercise day, once I toned down my numbers and made them realistic.  I love the pull ups and the push ups, the body weight stuff.  I feel like it allows me to have the confidence to do this anywhere.  I know I am going to be sore tomorrow, I feel it already, but 80 pull ups and 160 push ups, I had a pump all day and the soreness is a good thing...tomorrow brings another day and another 30 minutes to fitness...side note, I am seeing some weight loss on the scale already, I know it is not time yet, but, I had to peek!


WP Greet Box iconThanks for visiting! Make sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, to help keep you motivated, and to gain access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!




Steve Szeszko
Your Beachbody Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment