Feel free to look into my window

Everyone has windows, some are open and some are closed. I decided to open a window of my life so that you can come in and see what I am thinking, doing, feeling. Please take some time to see what is going on and comment if you feel the need.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Big D Marathon

April 11, 2010, the day I had been training for, for about 5 months has come and I am at mile 18 of 26.2 thinking, “what am I doing?” My legs are starting to hurt, it’s hot and humid and I can’t seem to get enough water into my system. But I trudge along, because it is only 8 more miles to the finish. As I watch my pace slow down, I realize my plan B needs to take effect. Plan A was to finish under 5 hours, and I was on track finishing my half in just over two hours and feeling good, now plan B says just finish. A lot of things went through my mind as the miles went on and then the surprise that I needed, my family. I tend to look down as I run, trying not to see what is coming up ahead or where I need to run to I look at spots on the ground and run to the spot, then pick another and another. This time I looked up because we are in a neighborhood and people are sitting in their yards watching the pain and anguish on our faces and offering moments of encouragement. I hear them more than I saw them at first, but Sydney and Madison, with water in her hand, are running at me. I asked what they are doing, I wasn’t to see them until the end. But they answered quickly with mom said it was alright and quickly told me how I was doing such a great job, yeah right I was lucky to be moving at all. Madison was my encourager throughout the race, I didn’t realize it at the time, but looking back at the photos she is the one who is always with me, running and talking to me. I told her I was tired and I wanted to quit, she told me no that the end was so close and she would run the last 5 milers with me if I wanted her to. At 9 years old, 5 miles is a long distance, especially on an open road course, I thanked her and gave a safety reason that she could not come along. Then I did what I have been told I should not have done, I sat down and confessed to my wife I was done. I hurt, physically and mentally and I can’t fix it. I just want to quit and go home, get the car we are done. She, being ever supportive, said look at those girls you quit now what are you teaching them? And off I was again, slowly running.


I was doing my training with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Societies Team in Training and through the race they were there, but not in a while had I seen anyone. Then running up to me from behind came a mentor, she asked what was going on, how was I feeling, etc. I explained my symptoms and she quickly gave me a salt packet and some water. You see, we trained all winter long and learned about how to stay warm, dress, and hydrate in the cold, today it is 95 degrees and humid. I had depleted all the salt in my body and the water was just running out my pores. That salt did the trick and I finished my race with me girls beside me. As I crossed the line I received my medal, took some photos, ate some peanut butter and jelly and took off the shoes to air out the pigs. 5 hours 59 mins and 14 seconds, I finished under 6 hours, not what I wanted, but I finished.

Many people asked a t the end if I would do it again, remembering the pain and the disappointment I quickly said no way. I did it once, scratch my list, I am a marathoner and its an experience no one can ever take away. Now here I am a few months later reading my magazines, thinking about the training and how I can get faster after my injury heals and looking a the calendar. During the training and the race I received two micro tears in my achiles tendon that the doctor said required rest and then ease back into running. I rested and now its time to ease back into running. But I need a reason to run, a race. So I ask Connie how she feels about me running the Oklahoma City marathon in April. She doesn’t even look at me, just says, “ I knew at mile 20 you would do another one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment